May 8, 2017

Farewell from @CyFairSteph


Saying goodbye is never an easy task. As many of you may have already heard, my last day in CFISD is Thursday, May 11. It is with both sadness and excitement that I write this blog. 

I am sad because I am leaving a group of people that has literally become my second family away from home. The numerous relationships that I have established over the years have left such an impact on my life. I know, without a doubt, that each connection I have made will somehow circle around and come into play as I enter the next phase in my life.

I am excited because a door unexpectedly opened up for me that allowed me to accept a tremendous offer as director of client engagement at the Harris County Department of Education. 

Although I am looking forward to this new part of my life’s journey, it is a bit nerve-racking to leave a place that I have been a part of for 12 years; a place where I have created so many wonderful memories; and a place where I have developed so many long-lasting relationships.

It may appear on the surface as though I am losing so many friends, but someone so special just told me today that I should not see it as though I am losing friendships but that I am only on a path to gaining new ones.

I have thoroughly enjoyed working with such a phenomenal staff of professionals including teachers, administrators, paraprofessionals and support staff. Working for CFISD has been a wonderful experience and I could not have asked for a better place to prepare me, both professionally and personally, for the exciting future ahead of me.

I will miss attending all the amazing events that happen annually throughout the district such as the VIPS luncheon, graduation ceremonies, Superintendent’s Fun Run, Spotlight Teachers, Translation Workshops, etc. These are just a few of the many, many events.


And, believe it or not, I will also miss the numerous meetings such as the Communication Advisory Committee (CAC) meetings where I was able to discuss happenings in the district with department leaders; and the Community Leadership Committee (CLC) meetings where I had the opportunity to meet leaders from the community and hear discussion on the most current legislative bills impacting public education.   

However, ultimately, what I will miss the most about CFISD is what truly makes it a top district in the nation … and that is the PEOPLE that make up Cy-Fair.

I am so thankful to Dr. Henry and his cabinet, as well as our Board members, for their leadership that has always been about and will continue to be about our beloved students.


I am thankful for all of our administrators at both the district and campus levels as well as our teachers who work tirelessly to ensure that all students are successful.

I am thankful to all ancillary staff members who work around the clock to create a safe and pleasant environment for all students and staff.

I am thankful to my CPOC Campus, Bang Elementary School, who opened their arms to me (a year ago) and treated me as if I had always been a part of their family … what an amazing staff and fabulous A-Team.



And last, but definitely not least, I am thankful to the “world’s best boss,” Nicole Ray, and the team I truly believe is the BEST department in CFISD … the communication team. I will take so many wonderful memories with me, including the late hours spent with emergency situations and the fun times we “created” at our monthly Board meetings. Regardless of the stressful times we may have experienced, I will always cherish the fact that we learned to grow stronger by sticking together through ‘thick and thin’. Although I will miss seeing each of you on a daily basis, I know our connection will last forever. 



I am thankful to CFISD for giving this former teacher from Aldine ISD the opportunity to begin my administrative career in 2005 as coordinator for publications and then promoting me to director for communication in 2006. The 12-year history I have developed here in CFISD will always be held close to my heart. 

As journalist Eduardo Galeano once said, “History never really says goodbye. History says, ‘See you later.’

It has been my great pleasure working with all of you and I wish my entire Cy-Fair family continued success in all your endeavors. Although today may be a farewell or goodbye from @CyFairSteph, just remember that tomorrow I will ‘see you later.’ 

No comments:

Post a Comment